EdD vs PhD
For those who wish to pursue higher education with a career in research and education, there are several doctoral degrees, with the doctorate being the most popular worldwide. This is a title that is known as Doctor of Philosophy, although the word philosophy does not literally translate into a doctorate in the subject of philosophy. Being a doctorate, a student qualifies to be called a doctor in his or her chosen field of study. There is another EdD degree that is quite similar to the PhD, and it is called Doctor of Education that confuses many. This article attempts to highlight the differences between EdD and PhD to allow readers interested in pursuing a career in education to choose either degree easily.
what is a doctor degree
Doctorate is an educational degree called Doctor of Philosophy and reflects the fact that the student became a doctor after passing this degree in the chosen subject. The word philosophy is used to indicate the love of wisdom, since the doctorate can be earned in the arts, sciences, or even engineering streams. However, there are still many universities that award doctorates only in the liberal arts. The main requirement for this doctoral degree is the presentation of an original research paper that is good enough to be published in a journal. The student is required to remain on campus under the supervision and guidance of a professor. The doctorate can only be completed after the completion of the bachelor’s degree. This is when the student’s thesis or dissertation is published in a journal advertisement that has been reviewed by a panel of experts who award the doctoral degree. A career in research and teaching requires students to complete their doctorate in order to progress to higher levels without problems.
what is edD degree
EdD is a doctorate called Doctor of Education. It is a degree that is considered good for students who want to pursue a career in academia and research. Students who pass this doctorate get lucrative academic and research career options in both public and private organizations. This is a degree that is considered to be the terminal degree or the highest level degree in a subject. The degree is common in the United States and other North American countries. Many people think of it as the equivalent of a doctorate, but despite the overlap, there is quite a difference.
What is the difference between EdD and PhD?
– Both PhD and EdD are research-based doctoral programs that require original research by the student.
– PhD is a degree awarded in most fields of study, while EdD remains an education degree.
– PhD is called Doctor of Philosophy while EdD is called Doctor of Education.
– PhD is common in English-speaking countries, especially in the UK and the rest of the community.
– For students who want a career in teaching to become teachers someday, a PhD is a better option.
– PhD is a program that aims to prepare researchers and educators, while EdD is a program that produces research professionals.
– D. is a degree that is best if you are interested in making teaching a profession, while EdD is a better choice if you want to be a practicing educator or an educational administrator, such as a school superintendent.
– However, either degree is sufficient to be labeled as a doctor and for employment purposes.